- Open to: ages 17 and up. Ability to read music and previous choral experience is encouraged but not required.
- Rehearsals: Glendale Lutheran Church in Burien every Tuesday, 7-9:15pm
- Dues: $250 annually, which covers the cost of music, as well as a portion of general operating expenses
- Other requirements: One all-day rehearsal on a weekend during the preparation cycle for each concert, and singers are typically required to be at the theater every evening the week before each show opens for technical and dress rehearsals. All-black concert attire and folder is required for performances; these are the singer’s responsibility to obtain.
- To schedule an audition: Contact our General Manager, Paul Bauer, at email@example.com or 206.246.6040 to schedule an audition with Artistic Director, Dr. Ryan Ellis. In the audition, singers are encouraged to sing a short excerpt from any song of their choice, with or without accompaniment. Singers will also be vocalized to hear their range and tone for the best placement within the choir.
VocalSounds Northwest / Smamblettes
Members of ChoralSounds also have the opportunity to audition with Dr. Ryan Ellis for two smaller ensembles, VocalSounds Northwest (mixed voices) and Smamblettes (women’s group). Upon acceptance, additional rehearsals and dues are required for these small groups.
- VocalSounds Northwest: Additional dues are $150/year. Rehearsals are Tuesdays at 9:15-9:45pm, immediately after CSN rehearsals at Glendale Lutheran Church. Due to the advanced repertoire of VSN, regular weekend rehearsals and performances may be required.
- Smamblettes: Additional dues are $50/year. Rehearsals are Tuesdays at 6:30-7pm, immediately before CSN rehearsals at Glendale Lutheran Church.
- Open to: any retired individual who wants to participate in a chorus that enjoys singing many genres from the rock ’n roll era. Ability to read music and previous choral experience is encouraged but not required.
- Rehearsals: Southminster Presbyterian Church in Des Moines every Tuesday, 1-3pm. From October to December, there is an additional rehearsal from 12:30-1pm for members who choose to participate in ChristmasSounds in Burien.
- Dues: $90 annually, which helps cover the cost of sheet music, rehearsal space and organizational overhead. In addition, each member will be responsible to purchase a uniform performance shirt/blouse.
- Other requirements: One kick-off retreat/potluck at the beginning of the season to sight-read through the entire season, have a potluck lunch, meet new friends, socialize, sign up for creative volunteer opportunities and then go into sectional rehearsals to practice several songs There are also occasional sectional rehearsals and creative volunteer committee opportunities for members.
- To schedule an audition: contact Artistic Director, Paula Hawkins, at 206.719.1179 or firstname.lastname@example.org. During the meeting, Paula will get to know your vocal range and solo/harmonizing capabilities. Bring a favorite song to sing.
- Open to: any interested singer grade 4-12. Ability to read music and previous choral experience is welcomed but not required.
- Rehearsals: the music room at North Hill Elementary School in Des Moines every Tuesday, 4:15-5:30pm
- Dues: $250 annually. Payments may be paid at the beginning of the year in a single payment, or 2 payments: one in September and one in January.
- Other requirements: Each female member is required to purchase a black performance dress; cost is $65. Each member will receive one black YouthSounds t-shirt for no additional cost.
- To schedule an audition: contact Artistic Director Kerstin Shaffer by emailing email@example.com or texting 253.318.5890. Excerpts of prepared pieces (with or without accompaniment) are welcome, but not required. The audition will be in a private session with the Artistic Director, who will check the singer’s vocal range for placing each voice in the appropriate section of the choir. Then the new singer will be invited to stay for a single rehearsal. A quick meeting with the parent will take place after that rehearsal.
We ask that every singer pay whatever they can afford in dues, but we never want anyone excluded due to the cost of membership. For that reason, we offer full and partial scholarships for those who may need it. For more information, contact our General Manager, Paul Bauer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.246.6040. He will handle this request confidentially.
Additionally, when filling out your dues payment form, those who are able and want to help ensure that every voice is heard have the option of contributing toward the scholarship fund.