Artistic Director, YouthSounds Northwest
Northwest Associated Arts (NWAA), a 501(c)(3) organization, seeks an Artistic Director to lead YouthSounds Northwest, our youth chorus serving singers grades 4 – 12, for the 2019-2020 season and beyond.
NWAA offers both musical education as well as performance opportunities for a broad range of artists, from grade four through adulthood through our five choruses. We believe that the discipline, camaraderie and pride instilled through the arts are valuable for people at any stage of their lives. We know that offering choral and other experiences and education to singers of all skill levels creates a fertile environment for personal growth and for professional level performances, while fostering a healthy community among our membership and audience.
- Part-time (independent contractor)
- Compensation offered: $5,000 – $6,000 per season, DOE, plus incentive pay for growth in chorus membership in excess of annual target
- Reports to Northwest Associated Arts Board of Directors
- Direct, teach, and coordinate YouthSounds Northwest, including planning and leading once-weekly rehearsals during the season.
- Plan and conduct proposed 2019-20 concert season comprised of two performances: December and May (December concert is a joint concert featuring all choruses and is co-planned with the other Artistic Directors).
- Submit monthly report for and attend monthly NWAA Board meetings.
- Identify and coordinate all communication and administrative tasks with the Parent Administrative Coordinator, delegating as needed.
- Work with NWAA General Manager and fellow NWAA Artistic Directors as needed to complete budget-related, contract-related, and other administrative tasks.
- In conjunction with the General Manager, create and submit an annual budget for the YouthSounds program.
- Select and order all performance music for distribution to chorus members at the first rehearsal of each program preparation period.
- Partner with NWAA General Manager and other Artistic Directors in coordinating performance venues and rehearsal spaces.
- Create and distribute detailed rehearsal schedule for the full year including dates, and music to be rehearsed-by date.
- Proactively communicate with YouthSounds parents (via Parent Coordinator) to keep them apprised of important information and opportunities for engagement.
- When necessary, interview, engage, and supervise qualified persons to fill supportive positions, both contract and volunteer (i.e., rehearsal accompanist, sound technicians, etc.) May partner with General Manager, Parent Administrative Coordinator, and/or Board, as needed. Create and execute appropriate contracts (from existing templates) and submit to Treasurer for payment.
- Genuine enjoyment and passion for working with children and youth
- Bachelor’s degree in music, with major in choral directing or voice preferred
- Choral conductor with a preferred minimum of two years’ experience in choral conducting/music education
- Experience directing/coaching a wide range of ages and skill levels preferred from 4 – 12th graders
- Passion for delivering high-quality music education, with an emphasis on building community and creating a safe place for young singers to learn, grow, and build a foundation for a lifetime love of music and the choral arts
- Engaging, energetic personality, with a willingness to help grow the program
- Piano/keyboard proficiency preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills: in particular, collaboration, organization, and communication
- Must clear criminal background check
Please respond with cover letter and resume before Monday, Sept 9, to:
President, NWAA Board of Directors